Thursday, February 26, 2009

August Wilson and "Joe Turner's Come and Gone"

Being the resident August Wilson "expert" (I researched him for Theatre History last year) I had read other Wilson plays and knew a little of what to expect going into reading "Joe Turner". I knew Wilson's influences, the things he was known for, and had read his most popular play, "Fences". I knew that I had previously enjoyed Wilson's work and like the things that he is trying to do. However, when I read "Joe Turner, I found that i didn't enjoy it. Unlike "Fences" which i loved, I found that I couldn't connect with any of the characters. That was weird for me because Wilson is known for creating relatable characters. I guess the closest I came was with Bertha, but she wasn't really important enough for it to draw me to the story. I'm not even sure why I feel this way but I just couldn't get into the plot without having a character I connect to.

As for the dialects thing that we discussed in class, I liked it. I knew it was coming when I picked up the play, Wilson always writes how his characters would actually speak, but this is not why I liked it. I feel like it is important for characters to talk in a way that real people talk, and in this time that is how people talked. As an actor I feel like dialects is very important in developing character because it can reveal a lot about a person, where they are from, are they educated etc. An actor must use this to create a deep and well thought out character, which is what Wilson is looking for.

Overall, though I didn't enjoy the play, I can understand why we read it. It is a classic example of Wilson's work, incorporating all he is know for. My own personal taste does not take away from its educational value.

1 comment:

  1. I really agree with you. I didn't really get into the play, either, though I think it was more the plot that failed to grasp me than the characters. But I thought the dialect was really appropriate and I really liked it, as well.

    ReplyDelete