Thursday, April 9, 2009

Buried Child

Wow I'm behind. Oops. I'll make up for it in the next few weeks. For now I'm going to focus on Buried Child.

I have to start by saying that I love this play. Yes, its bizarre, yes there is an incest baby, but it all comes together to make something that is just so, good. I don't know how to put it really. I think its just how everything in the play, all the symbols, all the weirdness, seem to work together perfectly. 

Often when I read a play I consider if I would want to be in it or direct it. I guess this is because I am so into performing. With this play it is an absolute yes. I would love to play either of female roles in this play. The main reason is that there is so much to work with. With Shelley you have that she is new to this situation and must figure it out. Coming up with reactions to everything going on would be amazing. I would also explore why she doesn't just leave, wither with or without Vince, when the family doesn't recognize him. With Halie there is just so much. He knowledge of the "secret" and how that plays out. Her obvious delusions that everything is perfectly normal. She would just be such an interesting character to portray. 

I know that a lot of people don't like this play, for one reason or another, but I think it is great and something that I would love to be involved with in one way or another.

2 comments:

  1. It was a good play, I thought. As gross as it sounds, I think the incest aspect added a lot. It gives Dodge an even bigger motive for burying the child and it really wouldn't have been as taboo of a secret otherwise. It also adds underlying tension between Tilden and Dodge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The incest also adds to the idea of things rotting. Hamlet accuses his mother of incest in another play famous for being in a "rotten" setting.

    ReplyDelete