Thursday, April 16, 2009

Mother Courage

I'm not really sure what I can say about Mother Courage and Her Children. I honestly really hated this play. I couldn't connect to anything, the plot, the characters nothing. I'm not sure why. I think it may have been that the writing was dry and difficult to get through. If thats the case then maybe I would like it better if I saw the play performed. Anyway, I get what Brecht was trying to do, and I guess if he didn't want people to enjoy it then he succeeded. 

The only thing I kind of appreciated was the use of songs. I think it was really interesting that Brecht used a convention usually saved for happy or funny shows for something so opposite. His songs made The otherwise really boring play at least a little interesting. I can only imagine how they would sound but from listening to the song from Three Penny Opera, I think it would be pretty good.  I just wish that this had carried into the rest of play.

Overall, though I get and appreciate what Brecht did for Theatre, I just really can't stand this play.  I wish I liked it, really I do, but i just can't find anything in it. To those of you who do like it, can you tell me what it is you like, maybe that will help.

No comments:

Post a Comment